The U.S. News & World Report recently came out with the rankings of the top high schools in the country and the Puget Sound had 19 on this last. Schools are ranked based on how well he prepare students for college and how academically students do on tests. The Puget Sound area high schools are helping to prepare for the region’s workforce and tens of thousands of new jobs created each year. The Puget Sound area is booming with new tech industry opportunities every year including the expansion of Expedia, Amazon, and other Seattle-based industries. [Source]
Currently, all region imports the vast majority of employers from outside the area. This may help local students to find good jobs right here in our state.
Read more: The best-educated neighborhoods in Seattle
The Washington state legislature is under a state Supreme Court mandate to fund education and they have vowed to take action in 2017. This could result in an increase in taxes. Current increases in taxes are now going towards voted upon public transportation system but many feel that education should really be the focus.
Top 10 schools that made the list in the Puget Sound region.
- Aviation High school – Tukwila – gold medal awarded with a 90% graduation rate and 78.6 college readiness. Ranked #1 in Washington rankings.
- Newport Senior high school – Bellevue – gold medal awarded with a 95% graduation rate and 74.5 college readiness
- International Community school – Kirkland – Gold medal awarded with a 90% graduation rate and a 72.1 college readiness.
- Bellevue high school – Bellevue – 91% graduation rate and 70.1 college readiness
- Bainbridge high school – Bainbridge Island – 93% graduation rate and 65.2 college readiness
- Roosevelt high school – Seattle – 90% graduation rate and 62.3 college readiness
- Garfield high school – Seattle – 87% graduation rate and 54.3 college readiness
- Mercer Island high school – 90% graduation rate and 50.9 college readiness
- Ingraham high school – Seattle – 76% graduation rate and 50 point for college readiness
- Shorecrest high school – Shoreline – 87% graduation rate and 46 college readiness